- Learn to use the facilities provided by D3.js to create data-driven visualizations
- Explore the concepts of D3.js through examples that enable you to quickly create visualizations including charts, network diagrams, and maps
- Get practical examples of visualizations using real-world data sets that show you how to use D3.js to visualize and interact with information to glean its underlying meaning
This book will take you through all the concepts of D3.js starting with the most basic ones and progressively building on them in each chapter to expand your knowledge of D3.js.
Starting with obtaining D3.js and creating simple data bindings to non-graphical HTML elements, you will then master the creation of graphical elements from data. You’ll discover how to combine those elements into simple visualizations such as bar, line, and scatter charts, as well as more elaborate visualizations such as network diagrams, Sankey diagrams, maps, and choreopleths.
Using practical examples provided, you will quickly get to grips with the features of D3.js and use this learning to create your own spectacular data visualizations with D3.js.
What you will learn
- Install and use D3.js to create HTML elements within the document
- Use development tools such as JSBIN and Chrome Developer Tools to create D3.js applications
- Retrieve JSON data and use D3.js selections and data binding to create visual elements from data
- Create and style graphical elements such as circles, ellipses, rectangles, lines, paths, and text using SVG
- Turn your data into bar and scatter charts, and add margins, axes, labels, and legends
- Use D3.js generators to perform the magic of creating complex visualizations from data
- Add interactivity to your visualizations, including tool-tips, sorting, hover-to-highlight, and grouping and dragging of visuals
About the Author
Michael Heydt is an independent consultant, programmer, educator, and trainer. He has a passion for learning and sharing his knowledge of new technologies. Michael has worked in multiple industry verticals, including media, finance, energy, and healthcare. Over the last decade, he worked extensively with web, cloud, and mobile technologies and managed user experience, interface design, and data visualization for major consulting firms and their clients. Michael’s current company, Seamless Thingies (www.seamlessthingies.tech), focuses on IoT development and connecting everything with everything.
He is the author of numerous articles, papers, and books, such as Instant Lucene. NET, Learning Pandas, and Mastering Pandas for Finance, all by Packt Publishing, on technology. Michael is also a common speaker at .NET user groups and various mobile, cloud, and IoT conferences and delivers webinars on advanced technologies. He can be reached through his website e-mails, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and on Twitter at @mikeheydt.
Table of Contents
- Getting Started with D3.js
- Selections and Data Binding
- Creating Visuals with SVG
- Creating a Bar Graph
- Using Data and Scales
- Creating Scatter and Bubble Plots
- Creating Animated Visuals
- Adding User Interactivity
- Complex Shapes Using Paths
- Using Layouts to Visualize Series and Hierarchical Data
- Visualizing Information Networks
- Creating Maps with GeoJSON and TopoJSON
- Combining D3.js and AngularJS